Reports To: Lead Technician, Assistant Campus Director, or Campus Director
Position Overview: Veterinary Assistants are essential members of the Wagly team who aid in ensuring all patients receive the highest standard of care by supporting the LVT(s) and Veterinarian(s). The Veterinary Assistant takes on the technical and recordkeeping tasks that allow the Veterinary Team to operate with the greatest efficiency.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Typing skills required.
- Computer knowledge – must be able to use computer programs to access patient information, input patient history/notes, and complete reports.
- Candidates must be a pet fanatic – pets are part of our family!
- Minimum of 1-year prior Veterinary Assistant experience.
The Veterinary Assistant must be able to:
- Be flexible in attitude and work habits.
- Maintain genuine enjoyment in working with animals and can deal with them even when they are stressed, ill, or in pain.
- Communicate clearly and accurately verbally and in writing.
- Physical Effort: Work requires lifting and carrying items weighing up to 50 lbs.; requires standing for extended periods of time.
- Working Conditions: May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises, animal dander, and feces, and is disinfectant/sanitation chemicals. May be exposed to bites, scratches, and contagious diseases.
Performance Expectations/Essential Job Duties:
- Provide an elite-level of customer service, with a high degree of energy and charisma.
- Form and maintain bonds with clients during interactions.
- Can educate clients on common vaccinations and vaccination protocols.
- Can guide clients to make appropriate decisions regarding optimum pet care.
- Can greet clients with poise and natural effort.
- Can prepare estimates for treatments and procedures and review with clients, ensuring that the Wagly financial policies are outlined prior to services being rendered.
- Provides compassionate care to patients.
- Understands every pet’s specific personality, needs, and preferences.
- Legibly maintains accurate medical records.
- Performs physical assessments and collects patient history, recording findings and information in the patient’s medical record.
- Can safely restrain patients even when large or difficult.
- Administers SQ injections.
- Assists with physical exams and monitoring of anesthesia.
- Can assist with radiographs.
- Performs clinical laboratory procedures such as fecal flotations, heartworm tests, skin scrapings, urinalysis, and fungal cultures.
- Can follow a regular schedule for cleaning/sanitizing all kennels; performs basic animal husbandry.
- Maintains the appearance and cleanliness of the treatment areas, surgical suite, x-ray room, and isolation ward.
- Manages appointments by obtaining patient histories, preparing estimates, finalizing charges, and discharging patients.
- Can admit patients, discussing primary concerns and other health issues with clients, review the preliminary treatment plan and handle medical record entries accurately.
- Can prepare client invoices for services performed.
- Can discharge patients based on the Veterinarian’s instructions, effectively and clearly communicating homecare instructions (restrictions, medication administration, etc.) and follow-up timelines.
- Can maintain positive, cooperative relationships with other employees.
- Can display tact and respect with team members even when busy or hectic.
- Feel and express a genuine liking for animals and their owners and for working in an animal care field.
- Performs other duties as assigned.