Veterinary Assistants help the technicians, doctors, and campus representatives in all duties of the hospital. The responsibilities vary with current needs of the hospital staff, the season of the year, and the individual abilities demonstrated by the employee.
Veterinary Assistants are responsible for the pre/post exam procedures. This includes but is not limited to medical record collection and compilation, weighing and recording the patient weight, taking the temperature, assisting with restraint, blood draw, catheter placement, monitoring anesthesia and any other essential duties assigned; ensuring the doctor has adequate support to provide the best possible treatment of the patient. Experience with Cornerstone a plus.
· Perform blood draws and run in-house blood work
· Dispense medication as prescribed by doctor
· Support inventory accuracy of hospital stock and supplies
· Prep and assist in surgical procedures
· Assist in the operation of the anesthesia machine and other medical equipment.
· Prepare surgery packs and cutting surgery drapes
· Able to take quality radiographs
· Responsible for the cleanliness of the entire hospital; with an emphasis on kennels
· Check on patients in hospital and the boarding facility daily. Report any medical issues to doctor
· Clean exams rooms after each visit and prepare for the next client and patient
· Ensure supplies are always available in exam rooms and treatment room
· Assist the Veterinary Technician
· Must be a pet fanatic – pets are part of your family!
· Preferred two years veterinary experience is required
· Knowledge of the use, care, and storage of veterinary instruments, materials, and equipment
· Knowledge of sterilization techniques to sterilize various instruments and materials
· Knowledge of the instruments, materials, and standardized procedures used in the full variety of treatments to make preparations and provide assistance during procedures
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Excellent client service skills and phone etiquette
· Able to stand on your feet for long periods of time and lift a minimum of 40 pounds unassisted
· Flexibility with work hours. Able to work weekends and holidays when necessary
Job Type: Full-time